Saturday, February 19, 2011

The future

"Difficult to see. Always in motion is the future." - Yoda
We're through the first two treatment days for this sixth (and hopefully last) chemo cycle. There's one more treatment day coming up on February 23rd, an MRI on March 14th, and a meeting with his oncologist about a week after the MRI. That's all we know about the future of Kol's treatment until we get the MRI results.

If the MRI shows that the tumor is gone, then we simply go to a monitoring cycle - MRI scans every three months for a year or so, then every six months for another year or so, then yearly for a while after that.

If the MRI shows that the tumor is still there... well, that's where the crystal ball gets very, very cloudy. Kol's oncologist hasn't said much about what will happen in that case, except that the first step would be to consult with a surgeon and go from there. We don't know if it will mean more chemo, more surgery, or looking at other alternatives.

I don't deal well with uncertainty. I like to know things ahead of time. I was the kid who read the book before going to see the movie. I'm still the guy who can't help reading plot synopses and spoilers before watching a show or reading a book. This "not knowing" is driving me crazy. It's probably a good exercise in patience for me, but like many other things that are good for me (such as broccoli, sit-ups, or spending time away from a computer) I don't particularly enjoy it. Guess I'll just have to try to live with it.

"Do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
Shut up, Yoda. You're not helping.

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed your quotes from Yoda along with your message. Makes you think! I think of you and your family often. (beautiful pictures!)

    ReplyDelete