The tumor appears to be a grade 4 neuroblastoma - grade 4 being the fastest growing, most aggressive. The one bright spot in this diagnosis is that neuroblastomas normally don't metastasize - that is, they don't spread to other parts of the body. We're going to be meeting with an oncologist in the next day or two - we don't know for sure what sort of treatments they are going to want to do, but radiation therapy is likely, and chemotherapy is a possibility. They probably won't start treatment for at least another week or so, to allow Kol to regain his strength and recover from the surgery. Dr. Vitali didn't want to give me numbers (in terms of percentages, etc.), he emphasized that each person reacts differently to these cancers, so at this point in time I have no idea what sort of prognosis is possible.
I guess it goes without saying that this is not what we were expecting, or at least not what we were hoping for. I'm still in a state of shock. Kristen is still in Outlook until later this afternoon - our "tire guy" should have the van back on it's feet (so to speak) before school is out, and then I believe she's coming straight up here. I haven't told Kol yet about this - I think I want to wait until Kristen is here, so that we can both be there to comfort him and answer his questions. For now, I'm just trying to hold myself together until I can find a safe time/place to let my guard down and start processing some of the emotions that I'm holding back.
Your prayers, more than ever, are coveted. Thanks for your love and support.